<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14308416?origin\x3dhttp://aichiko.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

paper women


I visited my Grandmother the other day, in the same house I have been visiting her for the last 26 years. It was the first time I realized that she had made these dolls that had been there for as long as I can remember.
I spent a good 15 minutes taking pictures of them, out of their old plastic cases, by the window. It was somewhat of a cultural experience, having my Grandma explain their different kimono, who wore what, what it means, all those subtle differences. The entire doll is made is made of paper and layers of cotton. They are amazing in their detail and perfection.
The photos don't do them justice.

Grandma was touched that I took such interest in them. Of course...I was facinated. She ran out of the room and got me something she said she thought I should have. It was a wooden laquered hair stick decorated with mother-of-pearl flowers that her grandmother had given her. She said it's at least over 120 years old, probaby more. She told me not to lose it. As if!

Here are some pics of these paper women. Some things I couldn't help but notice were the wife's eternally perfect poise and humble posture, the princess' delicate hands, the Geisha's ample breastage under her low cut kimono, and the fact that she had a few more loose strands of hair.
Ahh....Japanese culture.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Very cool....wish I had some kind of Japanese heirloom.

November 01, 2005 12:54 AM  
Blogger aiko said...

Yeah, it's the first and I think only I will ever have. sigh

November 01, 2005 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home