Moments that kill
Just now my kids fell alseep. Half an hour ago Alysha wasn't feeling too well, so I was holding her, much to the trauma of Keith who desperately wanted to cuddle with me. He whined and cried and then it turned into those aching sobs. I told him I would cuddle with him once Alysha falls asleep, which is sort of our nocturnal promise. Still he cried. Oh god when will they just fall alseep it's 11 for crying out loud! Then he was quiet. I thought he was alseep.
I finally put Alysha down, and turned to clean my room, finally! Suddenly I hear a heartbroken moan arising from the bed and there's Keith all awash in tears.
"Why didn't you come and cuddle with me?"
"I'm so sorry, I thought you were asleep."
"But didn't you want to cuddle with me even if I was alseep?"
Uhhh, hmmm. How to answer this one...nope, I'm the loser here. So I climb in bed with him, and try to calm his sobs. I was frustrated at first, but by this time I am realizing that this isn't an everyday whine, but his little heart is actually breaking.
So we pray. We cuddle and we talk. About the day. About what makes us happy. About what makes us sad. It was a good talk.
He says, "Mommy, but when do you cry?"
"Uhh, I cry sometimes when I'm really tired and frustrated." Sometimes.
"Really?"
"Yeah. Also sometimes when I make a lot of mistakes and I get discouraged." I am hoping this is the last answer I have to give. He's getting too close to what I don't want to say.
"Oh yeah. Me too." He understands so well.
"When else, Mommy?" oh dear.
Uhh, should I be honest? He's caught me off guard. He's four and I feel like he's prying into my very heart. Why is this so hard to say?
"Well," I say slowly, "sometimes I cry when I feel lonely."
He says understandingly, "Me too...like tonight. That's the saddest. When I'm lonely."
Ohhh, ouch. How could I ever have allowed or even caused the tragedy of loneliness in my own little family? He understands too well. Those sobs earlier could've well been my own, his pain the same as what I have felt when I felt so alone. Aren't we supposed to protect our babies from that?
"But we don't need to be lonely because Jesus is always with us. Right Mommy?", he asks and looks at me for a moment to make sure.
"Right. You're so smart. How'd you get so smart?"
He giggles, feeling smug. Feeling safe and not lonely.
Whewf.
"I love you, Mommy."
"I love you, Keith."
Everything's better now. The world has been fixed because he knows I love him, and Jesus is always with him.
And he's off on a first class coach to dreamland.
Me, I could've died.
At least he's getting that when I fail him (daily), Jesus is always there for him.
At least he's getting that straight.
Right?
I finally put Alysha down, and turned to clean my room, finally! Suddenly I hear a heartbroken moan arising from the bed and there's Keith all awash in tears.
"Why didn't you come and cuddle with me?"
"I'm so sorry, I thought you were asleep."
"But didn't you want to cuddle with me even if I was alseep?"
Uhhh, hmmm. How to answer this one...nope, I'm the loser here. So I climb in bed with him, and try to calm his sobs. I was frustrated at first, but by this time I am realizing that this isn't an everyday whine, but his little heart is actually breaking.
So we pray. We cuddle and we talk. About the day. About what makes us happy. About what makes us sad. It was a good talk.
He says, "Mommy, but when do you cry?"
"Uhh, I cry sometimes when I'm really tired and frustrated." Sometimes.
"Really?"
"Yeah. Also sometimes when I make a lot of mistakes and I get discouraged." I am hoping this is the last answer I have to give. He's getting too close to what I don't want to say.
"Oh yeah. Me too." He understands so well.
"When else, Mommy?" oh dear.
Uhh, should I be honest? He's caught me off guard. He's four and I feel like he's prying into my very heart. Why is this so hard to say?
"Well," I say slowly, "sometimes I cry when I feel lonely."
He says understandingly, "Me too...like tonight. That's the saddest. When I'm lonely."
Ohhh, ouch. How could I ever have allowed or even caused the tragedy of loneliness in my own little family? He understands too well. Those sobs earlier could've well been my own, his pain the same as what I have felt when I felt so alone. Aren't we supposed to protect our babies from that?
"But we don't need to be lonely because Jesus is always with us. Right Mommy?", he asks and looks at me for a moment to make sure.
"Right. You're so smart. How'd you get so smart?"
He giggles, feeling smug. Feeling safe and not lonely.
Whewf.
"I love you, Mommy."
"I love you, Keith."
Everything's better now. The world has been fixed because he knows I love him, and Jesus is always with him.
And he's off on a first class coach to dreamland.
Me, I could've died.
At least he's getting that when I fail him (daily), Jesus is always there for him.
At least he's getting that straight.
Right?

19 Comments:
Hallo Aichan.
This is your worst nightmare.
The Big Four have found you.
And I have found YOU, the big FOUR!
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
Ha, Aich that story is a keeper. I guess I'll be answering those questions some day as well. Yikes!
As for the "Daddy, buy, baby, store, peeezz?" question, Michelle already asked me that and I had to tell her that I didn't have enought money..... Just kidding! I just told her that we can't buy one but are praying for Jesus to give us a baby. So she prays with me on occasion for a baby brother or sister. Such a cutie. I guess the, "how did mommy get pregant?" question comes later. I got to pray about that one.
Yeah. I tell Keith that the stork brought them.
Just kidding.
How did i get to not be the millionaire or destroyer? Instead im the mad scientist.
Keiths so cute Aich.
Hmmm. Must be because you're blonde.
Millionaire must be a smart brunette.
Destroyer must have black hair.
Ummmm? I have no idea where those characters came from. I think Cherish is the mad scientist.
Very sweet & touching little story! Is amazing what goes inside those little guys thoughts
Thanks, mark and pabs for actually reading it:).
No offence, big four ;).
Yes, their little minds and their hearts are so amazing.
Yeah, that story's a real keeper! so sweet to hear the things kids say.
You should send this one to reflections or Activated -- they pay for these kinds of stories -- good stuff. such is the life of a mother...
Mother love. Such a beautiful thing to read about on Valentine's Day. And Aich, just the fact that your son already knows he doesn't need to be lonely b/c Jesus is always w/ him, proves you're not failing him. I think you're doing a wonderful job.
are you a secret agent from japan?
-thebigfour
Thanks. You blew my cover.
oh, it's chicken soup for every mom's soul!
Txs guys...it's nice when others find a conversation with your child of interest.
Winnie, I miss you! I wanna see you! I'm pregnant! Say hi to Gabe. I really like him.
ooooohhh!! congrats! make more slippery children of david! i'm soooo happy for you. Gabe likes you too. will we see you at grandma's? etc etc.
Wow, for real? Congratulations, Aich!
I dont know you, or you me. But I stumbled across your blog via Niki.
I live with her right now.
Any how I'll have to tell you I actually cried when I read this....I'm sorry, but it was so sad, and sweet and touching,
I have a little 4 year old Boy, and somehow I feel like I have been through that In someway, I'm sort of a single Mom right now and my little baby is with his daddy-- I miss him sooo Much.
any how that little story really struck a nerve, thank you for sharing that it was really beautiful....are'nt these little guys the best!!!
keep it up! And best reguards, to you and your little ones
Post a Comment
<< Home