The Waitress
Mike and I are such suckers.
Today we went out for lunch, and for the 2 hours we were at the restaurant, there was only one waitress there, and the place was full. She was running around working the cashier, refurnishing the buffet selection, taking orders, bringing orders, and cleaning tables. The whole time she stayed very polite, cheery, and helpful. Even patient.
We were impressed, to say the least.
I suddenly wished tipping was a normal thing in Japan. But I felt kind of stupid, so I didn't say anything. Then Mike piped up and said the same thing.
It's not normally done, and at worst, could it even be offensive? Who knows? But one thing we knew, we HAD to do something. She was amazing! I don't usually pay so much attention to the wait staff, but she demanded our attention by being such an angel.
So as we left we talked with her a bit, talked about how busy it was and how she was the only one there (to which she replied, "So mitai desunei..."). She seemed pleasantly surprised that someone noticed her plight. Then Mike gave her a little tip folded up in a piece of paper (yes, very Japanese) with a tract. It was kind of embarassing for about 3 seconds, but awww, she was happy.
It always feels nice to give.
Today we went out for lunch, and for the 2 hours we were at the restaurant, there was only one waitress there, and the place was full. She was running around working the cashier, refurnishing the buffet selection, taking orders, bringing orders, and cleaning tables. The whole time she stayed very polite, cheery, and helpful. Even patient.
We were impressed, to say the least.
I suddenly wished tipping was a normal thing in Japan. But I felt kind of stupid, so I didn't say anything. Then Mike piped up and said the same thing.
It's not normally done, and at worst, could it even be offensive? Who knows? But one thing we knew, we HAD to do something. She was amazing! I don't usually pay so much attention to the wait staff, but she demanded our attention by being such an angel.
So as we left we talked with her a bit, talked about how busy it was and how she was the only one there (to which she replied, "So mitai desunei..."). She seemed pleasantly surprised that someone noticed her plight. Then Mike gave her a little tip folded up in a piece of paper (yes, very Japanese) with a tract. It was kind of embarassing for about 3 seconds, but awww, she was happy.
It always feels nice to give.

6 Comments:
And we're so so broke!
a litte love goes a long long way!
you guys are just like grandpa and mamma giving a tract and tip to the waitress.... oh aich, you set a sample for us all!
even more so that your so so broke!
You put me to shame...it's easy to get spoiled by the good service in Japan. LHM to be more appreciative
That's such a nice thing to do Aich!
the good samaritan & mother theresa come to mind....
Oh, you guys are so sweet. It sure shows how it pays to do nice things then toot your horn.
Thanks, guys!
Yes, the drama tape did come to mind...Mike and I have heard that one like, oh, every night of our lives since Keith's arrival.
Guess it finally got through to us.
Post a Comment
<< Home